Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon-Pecan Topping
- ¼ cup Coconut oil, melted, divided
- 3 cup Butternut squash, cubed
- 2 Medium firm apples, cubed
- 1 Small red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh sage, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices Thick-cut bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces*
- 1/2 cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
*Use Paleo-friendly bacon to keep this recipe compliant.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9x13” baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Set aside.
- Combine the butternut squash, apples, red onion, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, sage, and thyme in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Transfer the butternut squash mixture onto the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Place in the preheated oven to roast just until the butternut squash is fork-tender, around 25-30 minutes.
- While the butternut squash mixture is roasting, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon is cooked through and crispy, approximately 8-10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a small mixing bowl lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Blot off remaining fork-tender on top and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooled, discard the paper towels and add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil, chopped pecans, honey, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and toss to combine.
- Remove squash from oven and top with the bacon-pecan mixture. Return to the oven until the topping fork-tender, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Did you like “Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon-Pecan Topping Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.
Will you try this recipe? Share photos of your finish dish or your own version of it in the comment section below.