Traditional crepes are a popular French dish made with a combination of flour and eggs. This extremely versatile, gluten-free version omits the flour and yields delicious low-carb wraps you can enjoy with your favorite sweet or savory fillings.
Savory combinations are a great way to enjoy leftovers the next day. You can use grilled steak, roasted chicken, and/or your favorite cheese and top with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and/or roasted veggies for a quick and delicious breakfast or lunch. Or, try drizzling fresh strawberries and bananas with a rich balsamic glaze and homemade maple whipped cream for a yummy, sweet treat.
Tip: For savory crepes, add salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and/or dried herbs to the batter before cooking. For sweet crepes, try adding some ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and/or a drizzle of maple syrup, instead.
Sweet or Savory Gluten Free “Crepes”
- 6 Large eggs
- 3 tbsp Half and half
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- Non-stick cooking spray
Fillings: (as pictured)
- 6 oz Goat cheese
- 12 Grape tomatoes sliced
- 6 oz White mushrooms sliced and sautéed
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tbsp Sliced green onion, green part only
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint Heavy whipping cream*
- 1-2 tsp Real maple syrup
- 1 cup Balsamic vinegar
* Directions for maple whipped cream and balsamic glaze are included below.
- Combine eggs, half and half, and olive oil in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. If desired, season batter with savory or sweet ingredients as described above.
- Lightly spray a 10” non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium-low heat. (You may want to adjust heat up slightly to just below medium).
- Pour ¼ cup of egg batter into pre-heated skillet and swirl pan to evenly coat the bottom with a thin layer. If any holes appear, add a little more batter to fill. Cover pan and cook until egg batter begins to set, approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Once set, gently loosen the edges with a silicon spatula and flip the crepe, being careful to not break or tear it in the process. Cook for one minute more and remove crepe from pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place desired filling ingredients in the center of each crepe and fold over both sides to cover. Serve immediately and enjoy
To Make Maple Whipped Cream:
- In a large glass bowl, blend 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with a hand or immersion blender until it doubles in size and changes texture. Then, drizzle maple syrup into the bowl and continue blending until the mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
To Make the Balsamic Glaze:
- Heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually. When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use. Cool slightly before using.
Did you like “Sweet or Savory Gluten Free “Crepes””? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media.
Will you try this recipe? Share photos of your finish dish or your own version of it in the comment section below.