This traditional Mexican breakfast recipe is a welcome addition to almost any weekend brunch menu. The heart of this dish includes lightly fried eggs sitting atop crispy corn tortillas. From there, it can be customized with your choice of delicious toppings, ranging from refried beans to spicy salsa.
Tip: The instructions below include an optional step of frying each corn tortilla in olive oil until slightly crispy around the edges. Another alternative is to toast the tortillas in a dry, non-stick skillet.
Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 3 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 Corn tortillas
- 4 Large eggs
- Chipotle powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
Optional (to serve):
- 1 Large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 oz Monterey-Jack cheese, shredded
- Easy Refried Beans
- Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa
- (Optional Step) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Top each tortilla with a sunny-side up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa on the side. Enjoy!
Did you like “Huevos Rancheros Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on Facebook and Tweet it.
Will you try this recipe? Share photos of your finish dish or your own version of it in the comment section below.