Traditionally, refried beans are made from pinto beans. This version also incorporates red kidney beans for an interesting alternative.
This quick and easy recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals or whenever you want a healthy, meatless side dish for your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex entrees.
Tip: For a more flavorful and authentic variation, substitute bacon grease for the olive oil in this recipe.
Easy Mexican Refried Beans Recipe
- 3 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 medium Yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 16-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Did you like “Easy Mexican Refried Beans Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on Facebook and Tweet it.
Will you try this recipe? Share photos of your finish dish or your own version of it in the comment section below.